Monday, December 22, 2008

PUSH BEYOND!

For almost 10 years now I've had a sedimentary lifestyle. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer due to research, creating client strategies or managing accounts. By May 2008 I had pushed the scales with my 5'10" frame to 243lbs. June clicked. We joined a gym and the discipline I had long since forgotten finally returned. The workouts were good but I knew something life changing had to happen. I wasn't quite there yet. Then it hit.

By November, 2008, with over 45lbs knocked off the scale (no- I didn't stick a screwdriver to it!), I picked up running again. One Sunday evening I was relaxing and gearing up for my "long" run of 5 miles the following morning when I found an issue of Runner's World magazine. On the cover was an amazing Navy Seal named David Goggins. David has done some incredible things; run over 200 miles at one time to profile one situation. Yeah- over 200 miles! Check out his story at http://www.davidgoggins.com/. After reading the article it hit me that David didn't have superhuman power (though some would rightfully argue he does). Instead, he wouldn't let himself quit. The article triggered a memory from my life. A time when training taught me to move beyond the point of pain and beyond the mind's desire to quit. Lately I have been shocked at how easily my mind will tell me to stop. And several of the excuses are legit. As some of you know, I have ulcerative colitis. It's the reason I am no longer in the Army. If you are unaware of what this is, suffice it to say UC is a pain in the ass- literally (gastro). It hit me hard and I allowed it to change my life. It also causes painful discomfort during a run. I've recently learned that something can make me hurt but it CANNOT make me stop; even something like UC. There is a point beyond that pain. A point my mind didn't want me to know about. The next morning my 5 mile run turned into 13.2 miles- a half marathon. The desire continued. I wanted to push more and more, beyond where I "thought" my limits were. The draw to know what was on the other side was too great. Just how far could I go after my mind said quit! How big of a lie was I really telling myself?

I'm very new to this distance running thing. I guess were in week 7 or 8 by now. Two weeks ago I ran a 30K. Next month I'm signed up for my first marathon. After that- who knows... what I do know is that I will continue to push through and NOT let my mind create limits where there are none.

So where are you today? Is it where you want to be? Physical, mental, spiritual, occupational, relational? Can't change where you are? Got an excuse? Join the crowd. Then look around at the crowd and sincerely ask yourself if this is where you really want to be. Now that you have that out of the way let's start pushing. Pretty soon you're going to get beyond that barrier and see what's on the other side!

PUSH BEYOND!
CRG

FYI- I've since been in touch with David. He appears to be a genuinely normal guy who simply does amazing things. He's friendly and humble. There certainly is a lot to be learned from him.

David- thanks again for the wake up call!

No comments: