Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What do you do with your ideas?

You raise an interesting question. Ideas will hit me at very random times. Ironically enough, refining points about previous ideas seem to hit just as randomly. I take the approach that ideas are great but the timing has to be right. There is no way the time can be right for all the ideas that hit in a single day! What I do is hold folders in a desk drawer (or electronically on the PC). Anytime I come across a follow up thought I write it down and place it in the folder. If I see a statistic, system, sample or anything else that will further that idea I take hold of it and place it in the folder. My goal is to get it out of my mind and onto paper as quickly as I can. Periodically, I'll sit and go through the folders. It is then that the creative juices begin to overflow.

Book recommendation: Hoover's Vision by Gary Hoover. Great book for those that think differently.

Hope that helps, CRG

No comments: